Happy Wednesday Reader!
If you have a moment this week, I'd love to hear what you're getting out of The Wednesday 1-2-3. You can write a quick note here or just hit "reply" to this email! Thank you so, so much! 🙂
Alright - here's our teaching, questions, and resources to explore this week:
There have been times in my life when I haven’t recognized the person I’ve become.
Sometimes it’s a pleasant surprise – the moments I realize I’m actually really proud of me, awe-struck thankful for the ways my parents have guided me, and head-over-heels in gratitude to my community and the folks who surround me.
And then there are the times when I realize – even while I hold everything above as true – that I’ve taken on shapes and behaviors and beliefs I didn’t really intend to. These are the moments I realize I’ve followed someone else instead of discerning what I actually wanted. Or when I find myself chastising myself with shame-dripping words from someone else’s voice.
Cole Arthur Riley writes to each of us:
And she offers this practice for those of us who find ourselves in this confusing state of becoming:
- When have you internalized someone else’s voice until you couldn’t distinguish it from your own? How has this impacted you in your body, your behaviors, and/or your beliefs?
- Take a moment to name some of the stories you tell yourself about yourself. (You might respond to the question: “Who are you, really?”) What truth is in your response? What are you being invited to release?
- Cole Arthur Riley sharing this teaching (Instagram post)
- Black Liturgies: Prayers, Poems, and Meditations for Staying Human by Cole Arthur Riley (book for pre-order)
- “Spiritual Depth and Social Change” with Cole Arthur Riley (video)
⏪ If you missed last week's email:
Sending you good vibes,